WAYS TO IMPROVE YOUR WORK-LIFE BALANCE
Don't confuse having a career with having a life.
It is a blessing to have a career, don't get me wrong. But your career should not take over your entire existence. What is your life like outside of work? Are you doing the things you love? Or are you only living to get up and go to work everyday?
What you do outside of your workplace is completely up to you. Whatever it is that makes you happy, do that. If it means exercising, raising a family, starting a business, going on adventures, etc..
Here are 5 things you should ABSOLUTELY do to create the perfect work-life balance:
1. Schedule in "me" time: As much as it is important to schedule in professional activities, it is just as important to schedule in personal time for things such as getting your nails done, doing your hair, shopping, etc. Doing things that make you feel good are important enough to write down in your planner. When you look good, you feel good.
2. Prioritize your health: Sometimes people get so caught up with work, they don't realize how their eating habits have changed. Although junk food is convenient, prioritizing your health by eating nutritious foods is the better option. Being aware of your body is a great way to avoid late detection. It is important to stay on top of your yearly check-ups and point out anything of concern during these visits.
3. Get some rest: In order to recharge and get the energy we need, sleep is necessary. We cannot put our best self forward if we do not fully give our bodies the time it needs to "reboot". Life can get busy and although we can handle a lot, everything needs a break, including our minds. Unplug before bed and let your body get the energy it needs for the next day.
4. Stay active: If you don't use it, you lose it. Even on your days off, you should get up and move around a little bit each day. Figure out a schedule that works for you. You can get up and walk each morning, do yoga in your house, go to the gym for an hour or two, or simply stretch in your bed.
5. Spend time with friends and family: Do not focus solely on work that you neglect the important people in your life. Check on your friends and family and ask them how they are doing. Spend time with people and don't be afraid to take your mind off of work. Plan trips, have brunch, and make memories with the people you love.
Creating the perfect work-life balance isn't easy. Often times we neglect one area of our lives without even realizing. It is important for us to be aware of this and make the necessary adjustments. When you are able balance self care with your dream career, your career will never feel like a burden and you will be happier all around. You will be adding to your career, while your career is adding to you.